Monday, July 29, 2013

Peanut Sauce for my Sister

Sorry for the lack of posts lately; I've been busy trying to get in all the DC things I should have done instead of watching t.v. the whole time I've been here (just kidding mom, I really do go out a lot).
The other night I wanted to make peanut sauce with brown rice, tofu, and veggies galore.  So I found a recipe here, and went to the store to buy all the necessary things for this; which are only in small amounts but sold in ridiculously large bottles (like peanut oil which is really expensive too).
So one thing you should know is I use recipes mostly as a guideline, and do what I want with them.  This recipe has mushrooms in it, I HATE mushrooms.  When I go out to eat I say I am allergic to them so they keep them far away from my plate.  Same with peppers, but I can pick those out of my food (I don't mind the flavoring they add).
So instead of putting in the veggies and amount they say, I just put in a LOT of everything I wanted: corn, peas, onion, carrots, and broccoli .  I tried a new brand of tofu this time, Silken, because it was cheaper and it said it was extra firm (which I found out it was not because it broke into a million pieces while I cooked).  So this is a lesson for myself, just because something is cheaper does not mean you should use it (which I'm sure my dad is laughing about because he always says that I am too cheap).
As a side note I would like to add that Nasoya tofu is outrageously delicious.  But always make sure you get organic tofu because gmo soy beans are no good!  Don't believe me?  Watch GMO a Go Go!
Anyway, this what my veggies and tofu looked like when I went to fry them up:

Now I must confess, the peanut sauce looked gross when I made it, so I did not take a picture because I did not want to scare anyone.  I thought once I mixed it with the veggies and tofu it would look better.


Clearly, it did not look much better.  I was not a fan of this meal, I can eat it but it is not my favorite.  I believe this is mostly because I hate peanut butter (weird I know) and this tasted more like peanut butter on rice and veggies instead of a peanut sauce; which is annoying because I bought all those expensive ingredients for nothing.
However, my sister came this weekend and loved my leftovers, so I would not discourage you all from making this meal; especially if you like peanut butter.
I am now in my last days of DC, I go home Friday.  It is truly bitter sweet because I want to go home but there is still so much more to this city I did not get to explore. 
TTFN, ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment