Monday, July 22, 2013

Dairy-Free "Dairy" Products

Hello anyone considering going vegan/ using less dairy products,
I know the thought can be overwhelming: what about cheese, what about milkshakes, what about butter on my summer corn?!  How will I survive?!?!
Well I am here to tell you that there are dairy substitutes that are not just some creepy lab experiment that you don't want to eat.
First, vegan butter:



If this was on a plate in front of me I would not have known it was not real butter.  It has the same taste and melts great.  This on fresh summer corn is amazing!  I need to test out its baking abilities before I draw conclusions on its full use, but so far I'm in love.

Second, dairy free frozen yogurt:
I was in Chinatown on Friday with a friend and we were at H&M and I had to use the loo.  They told me to go accross the street in the little frozen yogurt place (I sadly forgot the name). Anyways, as I was leaving I saw they had dairy free fro-yo: mango and watermelon.  They let me taste them and they were delicious so I got myself a little treat.  And I put sprinkles on because why not?

Third, dairy free milkshake:
I am currently living in the Columbia Heights part of DC, and right by the metro is Sticky Fingers Bakery an all vegan bakery and winner of Cupcake Wars.  They have a million amazing things to eat there, but I LOVED the milkshake I got the other day.  It was cookies and cream and you can pick either soy milk ice cream or coconut milk ice cream.  I got it with the coconut milk option and it was beautiful.
(If anyone wanted to get me a nice gift of a vegan baking cook book I would like the one in the picture above)
There is also Daiya cheese that I mention in my lentil tacos post, but I am not sold on that being something I really want to eat (the cheddar cheese is not very cheddar-like in my opinion).
Please let me know what you think of these products, or if you know of any others I should try!

No comments:

Post a Comment