Monday, July 15, 2013

Vegan Take 2

Hello friends!
I hope you had a lovely weekend, as I did.  Unfortunately, I was not a good vegan this weekend :(
I went to visit my lovely friend Danielle down in Harrisonburg, and to get the last things I left in my apartment from last semester (good news I got my measuring cups!).  Hanging out with Danielle and everyone we saw was wonderful, but going out to eat threw my vegan diet out the window I am sad to say.
I was emailed a guide to being vegan from the twitter account @GoLoveVegan which should be extremely beneficial later on.  One thing on the list that seemed really helpful was to check out the restaurants menu online first so you can see if they have vegan options.  You can also call ahead to see if they can make alterations to make certain options vegan.  So keep that in mind if you are attempting this adventure too!
But today, back on my strict vegan diet!
I had this So Delicious yogurt for breakfast, which was not my favorite (watery consistency).  I need to see if they have a Greek yogurt version and then I will be in business.  But once I put some organic blackberries in I did not mind it as much.
For dinner I took my mom's white bean, broccoli and pasta recipe and used my substitute Parmesan on top (that stuff is really great).
So first I fried some garlic and roasted red pepper flakes in olive oil (I basically start all recipes like this).  Once that is cooking I added the rinsed organic white beans (also known as cannellini beans) and more olive oil and let them fry up until they looked carmel-like in color with a crunchy shell.  Like this:
I cooked my whole wheat pasta, with some not whole wheat ditalini because I ran out of my fusilli, and added the broccoli for 5 minutes.  Then I tossed in the beans with more olive oil, because the beans absorb a lot and are still pretty dry, and salt and pepper.  So good I ate until I was so stuffed I thought I would pop.  If you try it out let me know what you think!



1 comment: