Sunday, January 12, 2014

Corn Fritters and Brownies (Not at the Same Time, Gross)

I hope you had a lovely weekend wherever you are!

I spent most of my weekend at home because I am a master of procrastination and now still have at least 4 pages to write for my paper that is for one of my classes in Spain!  I know, I have a problem.  It is not due until Tuesday, but I have had over a month to do it and did not start until yesterday (whoopsie!), but who wants to write a paper in Spanish when they are home for Christmas break?  And who wants to write a paper when they are at school for interterm and all their friends are around to play?  No one is the correct answer.
But I have all day to do it, which actually is the worst because it is FINALLY a nice day outside.  I am very annoyed with myself, but this is the path I chose.

Anyways, enough of my school ramblings.  I am actually here to talk about these awesome corn fritters I made yesterday, and brownies I made Thursday.

The fritter recipe I got from one of my vegan cookbooks, Vegan with a Vengeance,  one of the books my mother gave me.  So far, between my mama and myself, we've made 4 recipes from this book and they were all very delicious so I highly recommend it for your vegan kitchen.

I am pretty sure it would go against copyright laws if I posted the recipe here since it is not available for free on their website, so I will just have to explain the alterations I made.   You should check out their recipe section though because they have tons of free ones online!

The recipe calls for a red pepper, but I did not have one.  I did, however, have an onion in my fridge that looked close to death so I made sure to use him up before he went bad.  I also did not have a fresh jalapeno so I cut up some I had from a jar (the juice in these jars is great for spicing up Mexican dips).

I ate the corn fritters with some cut up cherry tomatoes, for an added freshness, and they were amazingly good.  I think guacamole would be really good with them as well but my avocados were not ripe yet.  Basically I love anything with corn so I was so excited to make them.  Because they have tofu in them they have a lot of protein, so they are nice and filling.

Now for the brownies.  I can post this recipe because I found it online here.  Instead of vegetable oil I used coconut oil because it is better for you, and I wanted to put coconut shreds on top so I thought it would be very complementary.  I also used whole wheat flour and put walnuts on top.

However, I only put the coconut on half because I was afraid it might burn and then not taste good.  They did not burn, and the coconut was a great addition so if you choose to make these I would add coconut to all of them.

These are fantastic hot, but once cooled they are not as delicious.  Maybe I just have a bias for warm brownies, but as a solution I have been microwaving the pieces I eat so they are warm and gooey again.  I also like to pour a little bit of almond milk on top.  It is like dunking them in milk but less messy. 

Let me know if you try any of these or have similar recipes you think I should try!

No comments:

Post a Comment