Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fried White Bean Hummus

Greetings people of planet internet!

Sick of winter yet?  I am so over the cold I was looking up how much it would cost to go to Florida for the weekend just so I could see some sand and not be freezing.  I am a woman of the sea and the sun;  I need to have time with nature otherwise I get very grumpy.  Like the Grinch before his heart grew, or Scar when he was plotting Mufasa and Simba's deaths.

I haven't been posting much lately because 1. my school work load pretty much grew 10 fold the last two weeks, my work hours almost doubled, and I feel like no one reads this.  I was thinking about putting my blogging career to the end but then I saw 18 people looked at it yesterday and I haven't posted in over a week!  So I guess some people do care and that makes me the happiest I've been all week!

It is weird being a vegan because I see the world in a different way now and people seem to be highly offended by that.  Over social media I was called childish for talking about how factory farming is a bigger contributor to global warming than electricity use.  I was just stating facts, but sometimes people don't want to hear the truth. 

At first I was really annoyed by this; I don't say anything nasty to people about their religious views when they post about them so why should I hold back my thumbs from writing about my life views?  But now I realize swallowing the truth of how screwed up the world is can be really hard.  It can only be done in small doses, and no one can fix everything.  So while the title of my blog is one woman's quest (to change the world) I obviously can't change everything I see wrong.  But my goal here is not to make anyone feel guilty for the choices they make but to share my experiences with others who have similar questions, interests and concerns.  If what I say happens to change your opinion on something, that's great!  But I never set out to make this as a way to bash people who are different from me.

Okay, end of rant on to the food.

So I wanted fried white beans, that I've made before listed here, but I didn't know what to eat them with (although they are fantastic on their own).  Once they were done I decided to put them in my food processor with some more olive oil and make hummus.  However, it was quite spicy because I over did it on the roasted red pepper flakes, so I added some Veganaise to soften the flavor.  If I had any Tahini at the time I would have used that instead.

All fried up.  I like the outsides crispy and the insides warm and mushy, but to each their own!

Once blended.


I'll let you in on a little secret, I don't get the obsession with hummus.  I don't even like it that much, it tastes pretty bland to me.  My roommates however, LOVE hummus.  At any point there are usually 3-6 containers of Sabra hummus in our fridge. 

If you're like me and aren't on the hummus train but love your beans, try this out.  I ate this up in about 24 hours... I made sandwiches, dipped things into and just ate it straight with a spoon.  You could potentially use any bean for this, but personally I prefer white beans or garbanzos to combine with the other flavors I used.  But that it is what I learned in this experiment, you can make hummus any way you want with whatever you want (it's just blended beans).

Doesn't look like much but this is a thick layer of the hummus on toasted rosemary bread and it was amazing.
One of my roommates tried it and she said at first she was afraid because it was "so natural" but she ended up really liking it.  The next time I had my food processor out my other roommate asked if I was making hummus again.  Good word travels fast huh?  Or maybe they were afraid, but I hope it is the former!

Long post short, I've decided to keep writing this blog and hope people will continue reading!

1 comment: