Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Vegan Staples

When I was home last, my mother mentioned something about needing new staples in the house now that me and my sister are vegan.  And that made me realize, for people attempting to make the swap, that if they had an idea of what to start with they would have a better chance of making it in this vegan world.  And for those of you unwilling to make the full switch, maybe these can get you on your way towards a vegan lifestyle.

1. A Plant Based Milk.  For me, it is almond milk.  I am not a big fan of soy milk's flavor, and rice milk is a bit too thin for me.  I was never a big milk drinker before, but I use almond milk a lot for cooking and baking so it is good to have at the ready.
If you are a big milk drinker, find a plant based on that you like and stock up so you won't be tempted by your roommates 2%.

2. Frozen Veggies.  I believe one of the best ways to help through your transition is to make sure you have loads of options in the beginning, and stocking your plate full of veggies.  I almost always have frozen corn and frozen peas in my freezer.  That way if I am short on groceries or money, I can at least make some pasta or rice with them and have something filling and enjoyable. 

As a side note, my favorite childhood meal was ditalini pasta with peas, olive oil, salt, pepper and loads of Parmesan cheese (now I eat it without the cheese).

3. Cheese/Meat Substitute.  For those of you making the switch from animal carcass to veganism you probably feel that you will starve and die of a protein deficiency.  But I am living proof that it will not happen!
For myself, I like Daiya cheeses (best melted in my opinion), veggie burgers without vegetable chunks in them and vegan chicken nuggets.  Usually for my fake meat products I go to Morning Star or Boca.  They are easy to get from most grocery stores, and Target often has a large selection.  If you are coming from eating meat multiple times a day, you should most definitely stock up on meat substitutes to help you transition.  I hardly eat them now, but I still like them when I do.


4. Nutritional Yeast.  This guy is a life saver.  I grew up covering my popcorn with yeast, but never realized how versatile this product is until I went vegan.  Yeast is a great substitute to Parmesan cheese, and I love to put some in when I make pesto.  It basically has a salty flavor like Parmesan, but it doesn't make food rise like bread yeast (to my knowledge at least).  I pretty much put yeast on anything I can think of; usually hot food.  I can't really think of anything it would not taste good with, but I wouldn't add it to your cereal just in case.

There are many different brands, and I've noticed a lot more big chain grocery stores are starting to carry it, not just health food stores.  Yeast is also really good for you so you should at least try it even if the idea of putting yeast on your food sounds weird.


5. Fruits, Nuts and Snacks.  If you are stressing about what you will eat between meals, and what sweets you can now enjoy I would stock up on fruit.  Switching a banana for a pack of m&m's will only make your life 1000 better, trust me.  If you need a sweet junk food, Oreos are actually vegan; what their "cream" filling is I have no idea, but it is not actual cream.

Just start educating yourself on what ingredients you should avoid and check packages before buying.  Some snack foods might be pricier when marked vegan, but just think of all the money you are saving from not eating steak any more!

6. Vegan Butter Substitute. Personally, I am all about the Earth Balance.  It tastes just like real butter, bakes and cooks just like real butter, and has no scary ingredients I have never heard of (and most of it is organic!).  This will be an easy substitution because you will not notice a difference.  Earth Balance was one of the deciding factors for my sister going vegan because she could still enjoy corn on the cob slathered in butter with salt and pepper.


 
7. Beans.  Always, ALWAYS, have a can of beans in your pantry just in case.  Not only are different types of beans so healthy and delicious, they can be used in so many more ways than you think!  Put your creativity caps on, or use Google, and you will see.

Beans will fill you up, give you plenty of protein, and are super easy to handle.  They are basically the lowest maintenance thing to cook, if you even cook them.  Most out of the can are good to go and can just be eaten right then and there.


Well, this is my list of vegan essentials.  Personally, I usually have these as well as: popping corn, olive oil, garlic, coconut oil, dark chocolate and avocados.  Let me know if you have anything that you have as a staple, or anything you think I should try!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment